The initial image after I began to map put my sketches onto Illustrator. I used a image from the internet to provide a template for scale of the map. It provided a template so that I could draw more accurate layout for the line destinations. Once I had blocked out all features I had sketched, I realised I would need to play with affects and colour schemes to give it depth and movement.
I then decided to make it more abstract by hiding that map layer so all you could see was the lines leading to destinations. I preferred this as it had a more abstract and elegant effect. The negative space although was being used to define the spacing of the map did create too much white space. The white space made the image look too empty and flat.
I then went back to the original background with the map layer on but I changed the opacity of the map to try and emphasise the lines on top as they were meant to be the focus feature, which wasn’t clear with the map having the same weight as the lines on top.
The image of the map that I used as a template was from the internet so it wasn’t a vector which meant that changing scale would cause it to pixelate. I used a drawing tool to trace over it. This then meant I could play with different effects/shapes of the line. This was when my original sketches began to take shape as the added colour gave the image more depth as it wasn’t all monochrome and the opacity of the background map emphasised the abstract lines leading to destinations above it.